Work out a conflict-free schedule

  • Review the Schedule of Classes for graduate students.
  • Write down the class numbers and any related class numbers (e.g., labs, tutorials) for all courses you wish to take.
  • Choose classes and related classes (if applicable) that do not conflict or overlap.
  • Obtain permission numbers, if required.

Note: Online courses are listed in the schedule of classes as campus = “ONLN” and Location = “ONLINE.” The primary instructional delivery mode is via LEARN.

Check to ensure that there is still room in the class(es)

  • Review the Schedule of Classes for graduate students.
  • Check the enrl tot (total number of students enrolled) and the enrl cap (class limit) columns.
  • Subtract the enrl cap number from the enrl tot. This number indicates the number of available seats; however, you need to determine whether the available seats are reserved or unreserved.
  • If the available seats are reserved (you need to look for the number of available seats for those that are reserved), then you need to ask yourself, do I fit the reserve category? If so, you may enrol. If not, you can only enrol if there are unreserved seats available.
  • If you have difficulty understanding how many reserved or unreserved seats are available, please study the image below.example class with 158 reserved seats, 150 reserved seats taken and 142 unreserved seats with 31 available still


  1. If there are no free reserved or unreserved spaces available, you’ll need to obtain a permission number (see below).
  2. If there is room in a class and it looks like you should be able to enrol but Quest will not allow you to enrol, it may be because the Schedule of Classes hasn’t been updated (twice an hour from 8:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m.)

Permission numbers

If the course you wish to take requires instructor or department consent:

  • Obtain a permission number from the instructor or department.
    • Use the permission number to enrol in the course in Quest.
  • A drop/add form may be required in place of a permission number. Consult the instructor, your supervisor and/or graduate coordinator on the appropriate use of drop/add forms.

Auditing courses, taking extra courses, or courses outside of your degree

If you wish to audit a course, take an extra course, or take a course outside of your degree, you will not be able to enrol in the course using Quest.

Complete a drop/add form and submit to Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs, Needles Hall, Room 2072, or to your graduate studies department.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Comment moderation is enabled. Your comment may take some time to appear.